jueves, 21 de noviembre de 2013

The human body

As you may already know, my kids and I have been
exploring the human body this month,
and learning lots of interesting and amazing new things along the way.  
Oh, what fun Science is! 
It's the one subject, that when we get going, I have to be really deliberate about watching the clock, or else entire afternoons are gone before I know it. 
I've also enjoyed this unit and how we have blended science with art. :)

Did you know many districts do not start teaching Science until 3rd grade??! 
Truly--I was shocked to find this out (just another advantage of educating my kids, my way).
And while they may be young, our little ones are enjoying our Science activities SO MUCH that I really could not imagine holding off until 3rd grade to begin formally teaching it.

So without further ado, I wanted to share our completed
ARTISTIC-style Body Map with you. 
This one was nothing but FUN to make with my girl.  



Here is what we used to make ours:
Brain: uncooked raman noodles, cut into the basic shape of a brain, and painted pink.
Spinal cord: white packaging tape, torn into small pieces.
Bones for arms and legs: white construction paper (I drew the basic shapes and my girl cut them out).
Bones for hands and feet: Q-tips, cut apart into pieces--so realistic!
Teeth: Post-It Correction and Cover up Tape, cut into small squares.  We used this for the ribs too.
Ball and Socket Joints (at hips and shoulders): small foam balls cut into half--had these left over in our art supplies.
Tendons: rubber bands
Esophagus: red ribbon
Lungs: bubble-wrap to show the air sacs! (bonus: we found it in red at Walmart, which made it more realistic).
Heart: red foam paper (Again, I drew the basic shape and Eden added veins and arteries using marker).
Stomach [and bladder]: balloons --to show how they expand and deflate
Small and large intestines: tissue paper which we rolled up
Muscles: (my favorite part!) Strips of pink fabric--from an old cut-up scarf, which we braided together.  Get it--muscle FIBERS?!

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario

Halloween

Con algo de retraso subimos este vídeo que vimos en Halloween.